Welcome to the FFCHS Gifted and Talented Program
The mission of Fountain-Fort Carson High School is to ensure that each child has equal access to receive an optimum educational experience. Our district recognizes the need to identify students from all backgrounds who demonstrate a potential for exceptional performance. Therefore, we are committed to providing relevant and challenging learning experiences to support the intellectual, behavioral, social, emotional, artistic and creative development of our gifted students.
Gifted children are those students between the ages of five and twenty-one whose aptitude or competence in abilities, talents, and potential for accomplishment in one or more domains are so exceptional or developmentally advanced that they require special provisions to meet their educational programming needs. Gifted students include those with disabilities (i.e. twice exceptional) and students with exceptional abilities or potentials from all socio-economic, ethnic, and cultural populations. Gifted students are capable of high performance, exceptional production, or exceptional learning behavior by virtue of any or a combination of these areas of giftedness: general or specific intellectual ability, specific academic aptitude, creative or productive thinking, leadership abilities, visual arts, performing arts, musical, dance or psychomotor abilities.
Services Provided by the Gifted and Talented Program
1. College and Career Planning. Including scholarship and college application support, etc.
2. Scheduling Assistance. Maximizing a student’s potential through the best and most challenging coursework possible.
3. Social-Emotional Wellness. Helping students with issues like perfectionism, underachievement, etc. and supporting social and emotional needs through discussion and group meetings.
4. Teacher Support. Helping teachers with differentiation, compacting, acceleration, and other curriculum support for gifted and talented students in the classroom.
5. Enrichment. Expanding gifted students’ knowledge base through field trips, extracurricular opportunities, etc.
The 2017 Year in Review