What Is Boys Town?
While ministering to the homeless on the streets of Omaha, Nebraska, Father Edward Joseph Flanagan developed a lifelong interest in young people and their struggle to grow into responsible, productive members of society. Today, with your help, we continue Father Flanagan's mission of saving children and healing families. Since 1917, Boys Town’s mission has been to give at-risk children and families the love, support, and education they need to succeed. Because we firmly believe that regardless of background and circumstances, every child and every family has the potential to thrive.
Every Child Has Potential
Boys Town was founded on one simple belief: that every child has the potential to succeed, no matter what his or her circumstances. So, we strive to help every child, from those who may simply be struggling to those who are in need of the most severe behavioral care. We strive to give children the skills and foundation they need to build a life on their own as caring, responsible adults.
Every Child is Unique
Just as every child is unique, so is every child’s level of need. We want to create and sustain an orderly, inclusive learning environment. Implementing the Boys Town Education Model will allow us to empower learning communities and transform social climates by:
- Managing student behavior proactively, not just reactively
- Integrating IEP goals, behavior plans and social skills instruction
- Empowering students to problem solve, make better choices and self-advocate
- Recognizing and consistently responding to problem behaviors and positive behaviors
- Regulating any learning environment—individual or group settings—to increase student success
Every day, in cities across America, Boys Town gives children hope and families a second chance at a healthy, productive life together.